Ok, ladies and gents. It’s time to talk Sales Pages. If you sell a product or service or ANYTHING, you absolutely need a sales page. As complicated as it might sound, a sales page really isn’t that hard to put together – if you know what to focus on and which elements to implement. That’s why I want to give you my top tips for writing a sales page so you make sure all your selling ducks are in a row.

But, wait, what is a sales page?

In a nutshell, a sales page is a web page that quite literally sells your product (or service). This page connects you (the product or service provider) with your audience and allows you to persuade them to buy your offer. Think of it like this: your sales page is the fun foreplay/make-out session on the couch, while your purchased product or service is what happens in the bedroom.

Now that we’ve clarified that – and maybe made you blush a little –  let’s get to my top tips for writing a sales page that convert.

Research, research, research your audience

You really, truly need to know your audience here. Remember, you are persuading them to buy your offer. You can’t sell your Photography For Beginners Course to beginners by talking about F-stop, ISO, Edge transfer, and Depth of Field in your sales page. They won’t know what you are talking about!

Use their exact words and language in order to convince them that you can solve their problem

Put 80% of your effort into your Headline

I know, headlines can be the bane of our existence, but they are powerful little suckers. Just a few words can have a mighty impact on whether or not your audience is captivated enough to keep reading. I like to use the 80/20 rule here. Put 80% of your effort into the headline, and the other 20% should be a breeze. 

You really want to highlight exactly what your offer is about in the headline and make it as easy as possible to find. A headline should be obvious and easy to read. Oh, you also want to do this in as few words as possible. No one likes a paragraph headline.

Highlight the benefits of your offer – not the features

Your audience wants to know how your offer will help them. We are selfish creatures, humans. We only want what serves us. We don’t want to read paragraphs about why you made the product, what’s in it (although you do want to include a snippet on that in the sales page), or all the hours it took you to make it. We want to know how this product or service can benefit US.

Just tell them exactly how the benefit, what they get, and the exact steps they need to take to get this offer in their hands.

Create a sense of urgency in your copy

Make your reader feel like it’s important to act now. Give them a deadline to purchase or a one-time-only deal. You want to make them think that they will never get another chance at this offer. Because in all honestly, if they click off your sales page without purchasing it, it will be near impossible to get that potential sale back. #hardtruth. 

Don’t fill up space with fluff

In terms of your copy, what I mean is – don’t use fluffy words or try and hit a word count. Give it to them in plain English. Straightforward, strong verbs and authoritative language can work well on sales pages. Remember you are persuading them to buy something. So be confident and don’t spin them a tail that doesn’t have to do exactly with the benefits they get from your product or service.

DO NOT link out

There should be ONE link on your sales page and one link only. And that’s the link used on your CTA button to bring your audience to the payment portal. A sales page is driving or pushing your audience towards a SALE or purchase. 

Having links out to your Instagram or your email list is not helpful here. If you want to do that, create a landing page. By providing these links, you are giving your customers a distraction or an excuse to click off your sales page an, ultimately, not buy your product. 

Always use images

Have questions? Contact me. I’d love to help you craft a sales page that converts!